Oi, mush!

a random assortment of thoughts, ideas, musings, and adventures around town

Sunday, May 01, 2005

I'm Kenyan on the Inside

Since I was excited reading Dan's account of the Country Music 1/2 marathon yesterday, I will post my own play-by-play! I made a shirt with this blog title, but I changed my mind and wore coolmax and sacrificed humour for comfort since likelihood of rain/sweat and all-cotton shirt make for unpleasant chafing. I had "trained" more (longest training run 7 miles) for this year's run than 2004 and it showed. Although in 2004 I had also just completed the grueling Rock n Roll Arizona (1st marathon) and wasn't really fond of running for a few months after 1/04. But I always love CM 1/2 because it's Nashville's race and 13.1 miles of bands, crowds, and favorite hotspots always make me smile!
So, I had my Mp3 this year with 63 songs for my listening pleasure. My brother, Todd, also ran the half and also ran, so he says, no more than 4 miles in training. I ate his dust and he finished in 2:14; go bro! I started in Corral 11 with Dan and Todd and I was on my own from .5 mile. I did pan the crowd constantly looking for someone, anyone, that I might have known! Good thing I had a camera in my pocket for entertainment. I have some great pictures of silly signs, strange outfits, people I passed that I knew, and our lovely skyline! I jogged pretty much all 13.1, only walking through the water stops. I was feeling strong and even running the hills that I normally choose to walk philosophically thinking I walk faster than I run up a hill. I really started to feel the physical soreness and stiffness around the end of mile 10/11. I got another kick at the split since it just two more miles. Aside: I really admire anyone that conquers the whole Country Music Marathon because at the split there is the sign that says "CM 15.2 miles to go" and "CM 1/2 2.2 miles to go" that is just mental torture! So, I got another burst of energy around the Capital and kept on running till the end and the only folks I spotted as spectators in the entire run was LB and her brother at the finish and of course all of my speedy friends at the big O family reunion area! I finished in 2:36 this year and I have a greater appreciation for the tortoise!
Here are the songs that kept me running, some repeated 3-4 times for power surge:

Pixies "Here comes your man" x3 and I crossed the start/finish with this song!
U2 "Beautiful Day"
U2 "Desire" x3
Lo Fidelity Allstars (great power song!)
JoDee Messina "I'm Alright"
Blink 182 "All the Small Things"
Foo Fighters "Monkey Wrench" x2
Stevie Wonder
Cake "The Distance" x3
SmashMouth "Walkin in the Sun" x2
Goo Goo Dolls "Here is Gone"
Webb Wilder "Louisiana Hannah" x2 (my favorite hill song!)
Pat Green "Somewhere between Texas & Mexico"
Sara Evans "Perfect"
Sara Evans "Suds in the Bucket"
No Doubt "Just a Girl" x2

(I had 63 songs on my Mp3, but some of them I just wasn't feeling it!)

Happy Trails,
A.

1 Comments:

At 4:27 AM, Blogger LB said...

Hey, I saw you at mile 2-ish, too! You were jammin' though and actually didn't hear me...Probably one of the only times THAT will ever happen!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home