Oi, mush!

a random assortment of thoughts, ideas, musings, and adventures around town

Saturday, August 20, 2005

Life is precious, life is sweet

Just a word of caution: this post gets very sentimental!
Recently, I traveled to the land of Dixie to visit family and friends. I became increasingly aware of how quickly my baby niece is growing! The littlest princess is preparing to graduate from noisy babble to her very first word. She's working on the lalalala's and dadada's. I was hoping she'd babble at least an "A" for her favorite aunt, but I think the long vowel was too much! Then I wondered whether 'mama' and 'dada' should even count as a first word? I also got in a visit with 2 more friends, my parents, and my 90 year old Granny! I realized how important my family and friends are in my life.
And this weekend I'm even more aware of just how precious life is. I always think of my mother on August 19th. I know it's a day of emotions for her and she always makes sure my brother and I know of her unconditional love for us. August 19th is the death of my maternal grandparents. Not together on the same day, but 13 years apart. I always think about the Grandmama I always hear so much about, yet I never knew as she was killed when I was just 2 years old. I'll never forget the day Dad left this world from the nursing home bed I know he disliked. It seems lately there are even more reminders of just how precious life is and for me not to take for granted the blessed people, things, and experiences that make my life that much more meaningful.
I pray that I show compassion for my terminally ill neighbor that I see is now mobile via wheelchair, that I listen intently to the amazing stories that Granny has to share of her life because I know I might never get that chance again, that I set a good example for my baby niece who is growing and is a constant source of pride, amazement, and humor for my whole family, that one day I hope to be a mother and teach all the things I've learned, and I pray that I never lose sight of my roots. I thank God every day for the fantastic friends I have who I trust and adore and have the best of times with ("What would we do if we weren't us"?!?!)!
And I pray that I live each day to its fullest and I will always trust God with all my heart!

A.

2 Comments:

At 5:05 PM, Blogger LB said...

Oh my word...I'm crying like a baby girl...And you said you weren't deep--Pashaw!!

 
At 8:52 PM, Blogger amanda said...

yeah, 2-3x's a year reality smacks me in the face and all emotions run amok!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home